Top Ten Italian Red Wines - 2016

I tend to taste and drink a lot of wine over the course of a year. I am in a few tasting groups, sometimes the wines are consumed at various local wine store tastings and a number drunk with friends and family.

2010 Fattoria La Gerla Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, Tuscany, Wine Review

Vintage: 
2010
Score: 
94
Grade: 
A
Current Price: 
$120.00USD

Great showing for this.  In a really nice place right now.  Deep garnet in color, mostly opaque and bright.  The nose has cherries, spice, dust and tea leaves.  Medium to full bodied.  Great acidity.  Medium tannins.  On the palate, nice cherry fruit with forest floor underneath.  Long finish.  This is delicious but also has plenty of complexity.  It is pretty close to peak but should provide another ten to twelve years of great drinking.  A nice match with pasta with a meat based tomato sauce.  

NV Ca' di Prata Prosecco Valdobbiadene Superiore DOCG, Italy, Veneto/Friuli, Wine Review

Score: 
90
Grade: 
A-
Current Price: 
$18.00USD

From the heart of Prosecco country in northeasy Italy, this is a serious Prosecco.  Made from 85% Glera with the remaining 15% other varietals.  Pale silvery/gold in color.  Lots of smaller bubbles.  The nose has minerals and Vernors soda (sort of carmelized ginger and seltzer).  It has a bigger presence.  Ginger and mineral notes, slightly candied.  Not tart, but well balanced.  Almost dry.  Long finish.  This drinks well on its own but will work better with food.  Fried chicken would be a nice choice.  A real crowd pleaser.  

2019 Ca' Di Priata Extra Dry Prosecco Rose DOC, Italy, Friuli, Wine Review

Vintage: 
2019
Score: 
90
Grade: 
A-
Current Price: 
$17.00USD

This is a blend of 85% Glera and 15% Pinot Nero grapes made in an extrad dry style (which means a bit sweeter than Brut).  Pale pink in color with lots of smaller bubbles.  On the nose, there are cranberries, and rhubarb with some Fuji apple notes.  The palate turns more to cherries with good acidity.  Long finish.  This is pretty much dry.  Very nice on its own, it will work well with lighter salads.  Drink over the next couple years.  

NV Ca' di Prata (Latentia Winery) Prosecco Brut DOC, Italy, Friuli, Wine Review

Score: 
88
Grade: 
B+
Current Price: 
$16.00USD

This is a Prosecco from the Friuli region in northeast Italy.  It is made from 85% Glera and 15% other grapes including Pinot Bianco and Chardonnay. Silvery green/gold in color.  Some medium bubbles make a nice frothy head.  On the nose, limes, minerals and lanolin along with a bit of sweaty earthiness give it a nice nose.  On the palate, the fruit shifts to a more tart green apple note.  Good acidity.  Nice frothy mouth-feel.  This has a sweet and sour quality that is enjoyable.  Very food friendly.  This drinks well on its own, but  will work very well with salty or fried foods.  

2004 La Fornace Brunello di Montalcino Riserva

Vintage: 
2004
Score: 
92
Grade: 
A-

Drinking well at age 17.  Pop and pour.  Deep ruby in color, mostly opaque and bright.  The nose has cherries, slight black cherries, and some wet tea leaves.  Medium to full bodied.  Light tannins.  On the palate, this has a nice texture.  Cherries and black cherries over forest floor with some roasted herbs.  Good acidity.  Long finish.  Drink over the next five to seven years.  Pretty much at peak.  This drinks well on its own but will work better with food.  A nice match would be Rosticciana (Tuscan pork ribs with rosemary).  

2015 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, Tuscant, Wine Review

Vintage: 
2020
Score: 
91
Grade: 
A-
Current Price: 
$50.00USD

Ruby in color, mostly clear and bright.  The nose is dusty with nice cherries.  Some forest floor.  On the palate, this has a lovely texture.  Light tannins.  Black cherry fruit.  Long finish with some anise notes.  Drinking well but will improve from here.  Drink over the next ten to twelve years.  A nice wine with Pappa al pomodoro (a tomato bread soup).  

2015 Carpineto Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, Tuscany, Wine Review

Vintage: 
2015
Score: 
90
Grade: 
A-
Current Price: 
$45.00USD

Garnet in color, mostly opaque and bright.  The nose is cherry cough syrup with some anise, in a good way.  On the palate, this is tannice.  Full bodied with good acidity.  Cherry and black cherry fruit with underlying acidity.  Nice finish.  This could use a few more years of cellaring then be good for another eight to twelve after that.  A nice match would be Malfatti which is a kind of Sienna Spinach Gnocchi.  

Pages