One of the beautiful things about Pinot Noir is its delicate nature. Sure, some Pinot has bold, even aggressive fruit. But Calera’s 2019 offering is as delicate, feminine and subtle as you can probably get. An overwhelming earthy quality is in this wine along with quiet black cherry, blackberry, light huckleberry, light pomegranate and Bing cherry. There are back notes suggesting jasmine and ginger, a delightful acidity and an elegance to this wine which suggests a deft touch in the winemaking process. Aged just 18 months in all French oak, 70% of that oak was neutral, a smart ploy to allow the fruit to showcase itself. The other 30% of the wine that saw new oak provides the tannic structure and soft vanilla and spice notes. ORIGIN: Mt. Harlan, San Benito County. ALCOHOL: 14.5%
Visiting wine country? The Priority Wine Pass gives you Complimentary or 2 for 1 tastings at 250 California wineries for an entire year.