The Larson Family Winery is located near the Sonoma/Napa split on Highway 121. If not for the sign, you would never know it exists as it sits at the end of a residential dirt road (they do a good job of reassuring you with welcome signs).
The winery is an old rodeo ranch and has a distinct cowboy feel to it. There is nothing pretentious about this place. It is very a relaxed, family friendly winery with plenty of picnic tables, a bocce ball court, and green grass for blankets.
As for the wine, the tasting room attendant was quick to point out that Larson is known for its award winning Cabernet.
Larson Family Winery is open for public tastings. They also offer a Civil War era guest house that sleeps up to 7 people.
- Anything elegant.
- Really large parties or events (100+ and their picnic area will get cramped).
- Guided winery tours.
- Good cabernet.
- A relaxed place to picnic with a large group.
- Western rodeo style environment.
- Family friendly (Bocce ball).
- Winery with overnight accomodations.
- Something close to -but not on- Sonoma Square.